How to change browser download settings for PDF files
Updated: 04/26/2017 by Computer Hope
By default, most downloaded PDF files open within the Internet browser currently in use, usually in a new window or tab. This document contains steps on how to change the associations within your browser’s settings to allow downloaded PDF files to open in the program of your choice. To proceed, select your browser from the list below and follow the instructions.
Tip: To change the name of a PDF file you want to download, right-click the download link and select Save As.
Microsoft Edge users
Because Microsoft Edge is integrated into Windows 10, you’ll need to go into the Windows settings to change the default PDF file viewer.
- Press the Windows key on your keyboard, type Default Programs, and then press Enter.
- In the Settings window, in the section to the right, scroll down click Choose default apps by file type.
- Scroll down until you see the entry for the .pdf file extension, and then click the box to the right of it.
- In the menu that appears, select the program you want to use to view PDFs.
Internet Explorer users
- Open Internet Explorer.
- Click the Internet Explorer Tools button and select Manage add-ons.
- Under the Toolbars and Extentions option, find Adobe PDF Viewer.
- Select the extension and click the Disable button in the bottom right of the Manage Add-ons window.
- Next time you download and open a PDF file, your default program will be used instead of Adobe PDF Viewer.
Google Chrome users
- Open Google Chrome.
- In the Chrome address bar, type chrome:settings and press Enter.
- Scroll the bottom of the Settings page and click the Show advanced settings link.
- In the Privacy section, click on the Content settings… button.
- Scroll to the bottom of the Content settings window and check the box for the Open PDF files in the default PDF viewer application option.
- Click the Done button to save the setting change.
To enable the ability for Chrome to open and display PDF files in the Chrome browser window, follow the steps above and in step 5, uncheck the box for the Open PDF files in the default PDF viewer application option.
Mozilla Firefox users
- Open Mozilla Firefox.
- Click the menu button and select Options.
- Within the Options window, click Applications
- Under the Content Type column, select the Portable Document Format (PDF) option.
- In the Action column, click the down arrow on the right-hand side of the box.
- In the drop-down menu that appears, select your new default PDF reading program.
Once you’ve set your default PDF viewer program in Windows (see Microsoft Edge section) or a different browser, the following steps will “activate” it in Opera.
- Open the Opera Internet browser.
- Click the Opera menu button in the upper left corner.
- Select Settings from the drop-down menu that appears.
- Under the Basic menu, locate the PDF Documents section at the bottom of the window.
- Check the box next to Open PDF files in the default PDF view application.
- See the PDF definition for further information about PDF files, questions and answers, and related links.