Seven Sister Dam Tour
Wilderness Edge encourages you to visit the hydroelectric dam while in the East Whiteshell Park area. It is one thing to see photos of it, but its a completely different experience to actually walk right up to the dam. Spring 2018 we took this drone footage of the Dam to help you get a perspective on the sheer size. It is wondrous to hear the sound of the water rushing over the spillway and to see the massive size of the dam itself.
Manitoba Hydro provides free tours of the facility. Make arrangements a few days in advance.
Use the TTC (TransCanada Trail)
Seven Sisters Dam Hike (17km Hike or Bike)
Download full printable PDF map here.
Another great hike while you are here.
Old Pinawa Dam (8km Hike, Bike or Canoe)
Also from our retreat centre in Pinawa, you can take an 8km hike, bike or canoe trip to a second hydroelectric facility with a ton of history, Old Pinawa Dam. Along the channel leading to the Old Pinawa Dam we offer tube, raft, and canoe rentals. We also offer day, 1 night and 2-night adventures.
There are just a ton of amazing hiking trails in the area. Check-out this amazing Whiteshell Park Directory to find hidden gems.
Facts about Seven Sister Dam
- Construction started in 1929;
- Construction completed in 1952;
- Capacity 165 MW;
- Average annual generation 990 million kWh;
- Waterfall drop 18.6 meters;
- Powerhouse 128 meters long;
- 6 turbine generators (units) (units 1 to 3 turn at 138.5 rpm, units 4 to 6 at 128.6 rpm);
- The first unit in service 1931;
- Units’ discharge capacity 1,146 m3 of water;
- Forebay area 21 km2;
- Forebay’s normal water level 274.2 meters;
- Spillway length 225 meters (Seven Sisters has 2 spillways with 27 bays, divided by a sluiceway with 2 bays);
- Spillway’s discharge capacity 1,030 m3 of water;
- Transmission lines:
- 5 115-kV lines to Winnipeg;
- 1 115-kV line each to Whiteshell area and Kenora, Ontario.
MORE RETREAT IDEAS
Wilderness Edge Retreat and Conference Centre is a group event facility that specializes in events made easy. Our secret is breaking down events into manageable steps, and getting predictable results every time.
Located in beautiful Pinawa, Manitoba inside Whiteshell Provincial Park the Retreat and Conference Centre hosts retreats, family gatherings and venue solutions for conference groups across Canada and the United States. This 84,000 sq. ft. staff house, built in 1963, for Atomic Energy of Canada scientists has been wonderfully adapted featuring 5 large meeting areas, central courtyard, 100+ guest rooms & suites, large dining room. While some renovations have been necessary, Wilderness Edge Retreat and Conference Centre maintains this distinctive and time-sensitive historical mood.
Free Wi-Fi in whole complex
Rooms are non-smoking
Pet Free Facility